Magnesium availability is low on sandy, acidic soils, on soils with high potash content, during cold and wet conditions.
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency
Magnesium deficiency is shown by: yellow and brown leaves, which fade and die, early crop maturation, shanking, premature leaf fall.
What is magnesium important for?
- Component of chlorophyll
- Phosphate metabolism
- Nitrogen metabolism (nitrate reduction)
- Protein synthesis
- Regulation of the water balance
- Activation of numerous enzymes
Whereby magnesium deficiency is enhanced?
- Sandy soil
- Acidic soil
- Coldness and moisture
- Soil with a high potassium content
- Properties of certain rootstock (ApfelKorn M4)